Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Not-So-Patiently Waiting

"I began to learn to wait."

These words were spoken by Elisabeth Elliot in her book, Pasion and Purity. In this book, Elisabeth tells of the love story between she and her first husband, Jim Elliot. I first read this book when I was about 16 years old, and have read it countless times since then.

Wait- it means, to "remain, expecting something"... "attend as a servant"...... "a stay; a delay"

I have been waiting a long time. Nothing compared to an eternity, but for me: a long time. Waiting on what? For companionship, for supportive friends, for wisdom, for God's plan for me.

"Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long." Psalm 25:5

"Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord." Psalm 27:14

"I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope." Psalm 130: 5

"Blessed are all who wait for him!" Isaiah 30:18b

Waiting is HARD..... I am not (nor have I ever been) a patient person.... I like structure, a plan, a time line. I rarely get caught by surprise.

But waiting is something that I (and we all!) must do. However, as I wait, I must move forward. The Bible teaches that we must, "Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful." (Colossians 4:2) and that we should "make the most of every opportunity" (Colossians 4:5b). We cannot sit around and wait, as one might do in a doctor's office.... we must be ACTIVE! We must also be hopeful knowing that "the one who calls you is faitful and he will do it" (I Thessalonians 5:24).

Elisabeth Elliot waited. And God was faithful to her (and Jim's) obedience. There were times when she struggled with her thoughts and feelings, yet she WAITED. I need to wait also....... on whatever God has in store for me... on whoever God has in store for me...... in who God is.

Lord, help me to wait. You know how much I hate waiting. You know how impatient that I am. You know what is best for me. Help me to serve You during my wait. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. great post Margaret, I was just about to look this book up when I Seen where you mentioned it earlier, you may also enjoy reading ENJOYING WHERE YOU ARE TILL YOU GET TO WHERE YOU'RE GOING by Joyce Meyer

    Helen

    ReplyDelete