Monday, May 16, 2011

Which Way? God's Way

Deuteronomy 2:3 "You have made your way around this hill country long enough; now turn north." This past weekend I attended a women's conference. This was one of the passages that was shared. So many times I have "circled" around the same issues: what is His plan for my life? will my prayers ever be answered? I need to stop circling and go NORTH! I need to go in a new direction, trusting that God will guide me and show me the way. I cannot continue to dwell on where I am (my current situation) and continue to do the same things over and over that have not produced results, I must go in a new way!


Over the past few weeks, I have begun to see some areas in my life where I have not totally obeyed God. This lack of obedience causes me to "circle".... to hope, pray, to want my life to be differently without taking the action needed. If all I ever do is circle, then I will never make any progress on my journey. I must change directions, I must do things differently, I must OBEY! In Luke 6:46-49, Jesus tells the parable of the wise and foolish builders. He says, "But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation." (verse 49a). I'm not a builder (I'm not even all that handy!) but I understand that if my house (life) is not built on a strong foundation (obedience) then when the elements (trials) come, my home will not stand firm. I wish I could say that I was obedient. I'm not.

One of the biggest areas I have realized I need to obey is in tithing. I give, but I don't tithe. God commands us to tithe. Malachi 3:8a, 10a, "Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me. Bring the whole title into the storehouse" I have always used the excuse that I support good causes to avoid tithing. I have been afraid of not having my needs met...... I have been tight-fisted..... I have been too self-involved to tithe...... I have been greedy, wanting things for myself rather than obey.

I believe that tithing is one of the ways that I need to go north. I have to step out in faith and believe that if I am obedient to His word, then He will supply my needs. He even promises to do that..... Malachi 3: 10b "Test me in this, says the Lord Almighty, and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it." I may have to give up non-necessities, but ultimately I know that God will provide for me.

I'm asking for prayer..... anyone who may read my random thoughts, my journey towards purpose........ pray that I have the courage to change directions, courage that I can GO NORTH! I'm also asking for accountability...... I can't just acknowledge what I need to do, I must OBEY! I John 3: 22b "because we obey his commands and do what pleases Him"

Lord, Forgive my disobedience. Forgive my self-centeredness. Help me to obey. Help me to trust that you will supply all my needs. Help me to have the courage to change directions, to stop circling around and around, accomplishing nothing. Help me to seek the new direction, the path where I need to be to learn from You, glorify You, OBEY You. Bless my spiritual growth that You will continue to show me other areas in which I am not obedient. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment