Saturday, March 24, 2012

Treasure Hunter

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21 NIV

As an only child.... I'm spoiled. As an ADOPTED only child.... I'm spoiled rotten. :)

I have always been used to getting my way. I do not share. I don't play well with others. I've very self-centered. Maybe it was because of my "only child" status, but I think it is because I've tried to store my "treasures" in the wrong place.

I'm too concerned with stuff. I like stuff. My home, my classroom is all filled with "stuff". A co-worker has joked that if I try to put one more item in my classroom, she is staging an intervention. At home, I have so much stuff that I don't even use it all! But it is never enough..... I always want more. Newer... BIGGER..... MORE

I'm learning about stuff. Recently I was able to (finally!) purchase a new laptop computer. Less than a week after bringing it home, my home was robbed. What was taken? You guessed it! The new laptop (and a tv). I've been almost obsessed with trying to figure out how quickly I can replace these two items, and I've realized.... it's gonna be awhile (and probably that's a good thing!)

During this time of waiting, I am going to focus on my treasures...... my earthly treasures don't matter. I've still got a tv to use. I still have a desktop computer. There are lots of people that don't even have that! How dare I pout or be upset? The things that were taken was just that..... things. I should be more concerned with the treasures that I am storing up in Heaven.

What treasures are those? I think as Christians, we all want to think that we are working hard for God and making a difference in our world. Often times we are. But how much MORE of an impact can we make when we don't let our earthly treasures get in the way?

So that's my goal....... I'm hunting for treasure! Showing the love of Jesus to my students by treating them fairly and in love. Loving on those around me who may or may not know Christ's love. Acting in such a way (publicly AND privately) that people will see that there is something different about me. And the toughest one of all---- being greatful for what I have, not always wishing for more.

"You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing to you and not be silnt. O Lord my God, I will give you thanks forever." Psalm 30:11-12 (NIV)

"For I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, wheter living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:11b-13 (NIV)

Father, Teach me contentment. Help me to look for ways to store my treasures in Heaven, rather than here on earth. Help me to look for ways to glorify You no matter what. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment