Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, and doggonit, People Like Me

Anyone else remember this? Daily Affirmations with Stuart Smalley.... Saturday Night Live! Like many people, I have struggled with feelings of self-worth. When I look in the mirror, I am quick to point out the flaws that I see.... those gray hairs, the extra pounds, the million chins! Too often I listen to that negative voice in my head that says, "you aren't good enough", "no one will like you," no one will even notice you"! Very rarely can I tell you GOOD things about myself... I'm creative, determined, I'm a good teacher, I'm funny............ even now I really struggle to think about positive things about myself! We constantly compare ourselves to other people.... I want that person's hairstyle, love their fashion sense, wish I was as outgoing as they are.... or we want things that others have... I want a car like that! Why can't I be skinny like her? The list could go on and on! We place our worth in THINGS (or lack thereof!) rather than in our Savior! The Bible tells us that He "chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons (and daughters!) through Jesus Christ in accordance with his pleasure and will- to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves. In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding. And he made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ." Ephesians 1: 4-9 (NIV) God desires us to place our worth through HIM.... we were created by him.... US.... sinful beings were chosen by GOD, to be redeemed by GOD, to praise GOD and serve Him! He reveals His will to us according to HIS good pleasure! My worth has NOTHING to do with me.... my haves/have nots, my intelligence, my personality.... my worth has EVERYTHING to do with the One who FORGAVE me.... so, I guess the quote would better be..... "I'm NOT Good Enough, I'm NOT Smart Enough, but, Doggonit... My SAVIOR CHOSE ME ANYWAY!!!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment